Wednesday, July 25, 2018

FRIENDS OF INFLUENCE PT. 1



“Friends will see you through times of no money better than money will see you through times of no friends.”  Gilbert Shelton Fabulous Furry Freak Bros. 

When I look back at my career as an artist and think about what made me successful, it certainly wasn’t talent. I’ve found that whatever that esoteric quality is that is deemed so vital that we call talent, it can easily be overcome by hard work and drive. Another asset  far more important is those friends and companions that we choose and gravitate toward. Good friends will motivate you to improve, and often provide you with a bit of education in this process. When you’re discouraged, they are there to support you, and when you need an introduction, they will promote you if possible. For those starting out in the business today, hard work and determination are essential, but finding like-minded individuals to join you in pursuit of your dreams is equally important.

Fred Jackson 


(Fred drew the pages on the lower left, and the rest were my drawings at about 12.)


When I was about twelve, I was lucky enough to become friends with Fred Jackson. We were both a bit of outsiders; I was a complete nerd and Fred was probably the only black kid in our class. What astonished me as I got to know Fred was that he was drawing his own homemade comics. Even better, he inspired me to try and start doing the same thing. We quickly had our own little comic company called Vokson, and we would trade each issue back and forth to read. Fred’s work was far more advanced than mine, but working with him over the next two to three years, I learned a ton about the basics of continuity and storytelling. 

(Me as an innocent pre-teen before I decided to become a cartoonist. Art below was done by me.)



Fred and another mutual friend, Augie Guzman, showed me an issue of a DC superhero comic where a Detroit professor named Jerry Bails was starting an amateur magazine about comics that was available to fans. Not only did I quickly order an issue of Alter-Ego/On the Drawing Board, but I even made a long distance call to Warren (a whopping 20 miles from where I lived in Pontiac) to talk to this Mr. Bails, and I soon got to meet him in person. Before the end of the summer, with his encouragement, I was producing the fanzine Masquerader with an assist from Fred. 
(Rich Buckler (l.) and Jerry Bails (r.) Below a drawing by Fred.)

(Jerry Bails on the left and Roy Thomas on the right.)


Jerry was very helpful in offering critiques of my drawings and also showing me originals of many of the artist I admired so much. He was also quick to share addresses with me of his many subscribers. At the age of fifteen, I was suddenly in contact with a large number of folks that I would be working with for the couple of decades; professionals like Joe Kubert, Gardner Fox, Stan Lee and Russ Manning, and young fans like Al Weiss, Marv Wolfman, Len Wein and Roy Thomas. 

(Drawing by a young Al Weiss)

(This drawing and the ones below all done by the late Ronn Foss.)




Editing the fanzine was really my way of getting my art in front of people, and the two older fans who were essential to my growth at this time were Ronn Foss and Richard “Grass” Green. They were both working toward trying to get professional work, and through a copious correspondence they continuously gave me tips and criticism on my own work.  Ronn was  a  great mentor in helping me move forward as an artist. Under his guidance I spent most of my high school years practicing my craft and dreaming about one day being a real comic book artist. 
( Looking at this page you can see why I was fired by the editor until I improved.)

(Fred Jackson artwork on the shadow and Ronn Foss pages below.)



(Fortunately, I had improved in the six months since I started on the fanzine and was reinstated as an artist.Below a page by Richard "Grass" Green.)


(A first for fanzines...a strip in full color.  Same suspect drawings.)

Just before I graduated from high school I had a visit from another young aspiring artist named Jim Starlin. At the age of 13 he hitchhiked the 20 miles to my house to meet me. I do remember driving him back to his home in Berkley. Soon  Starlin introduced me his close friend in the neighborhood, Al Milgrom, and the three of us spent many hours together discussing comics and art. Jim’s father was a draftsman, and there was always a polish to even his early work. We eventually all did work in a fanzine that Al produced. My friendship with them once again helped me take the quality of my work another step forward. 
(Al Weiss, Jim Starlin and Al Milgrom working diligently on their craft.)

(A page from a story I did for Al's fanzine Title, and below the back cover by Milgrom himself.)


(This story was done just about the time Jim Starlin started working for Marvel. Inks by Al.)


When I was in college I remember getting a response to the numerous letters I was sending Joe Kubert. While his message was very positive, he did explain that if I was serious about drawing comics I’d have to move to NYC. For me that was like suggesting that I take a trip to the moon, or go to Hollywood and become a movie star. I just didn’t believe I could do that. Ronn Foss and “Grass” had similar experiences. Being older, the cost of giving up their life on a very uncertain future just wasn’t worth the gamble. So we moved on to other interests. For me, I concentrated on college, played basketball for my entertainment, and eventually became a school teacher. 

Three things changed that. One,  I badly sprained my ankle and couldn’t play ball for several weeks in the summer.  Two, my draft number  was high enough I could safely leave my teaching job where I had a deferment. Three, I ran into Jim Starlin and he was now drawing comics professionally for Marvel.  He made me realize that if you believe in your dreams, they can come true.
(Another early drawing by Al Weiss. Below a Neal Adams story with Bernie Wrightson, Gerry Conway and Al Weiss featured as characters.At the bottom is another knockout Weiss drawing. )


Next week in Part two a look at many of the friends who were helpful during my years in comics. Be there. 

3 comments:

  1. Great post, which is not surprising of you, but this one is quite moving. Thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long time between posts. I was beginning to wonder if you were okay. But this one is excellent, both interesting as fan/pro history, and insightful as to how artists grow and improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for the rest of the story. Thanks for all those illus!

    ReplyDelete